Friday, May 18, 2007

Critical thinking

Actually I could not be more agree with the fact that media or perhaps mass media manipulates a lot,and critically thinking,movies does show us a lot of reality portrayal,such as gender role and discrimination,labelling and stereotype,and more commonly,politics.Its just depend on us whether we want to think and analyse the movie or event critially or not.

Just watched a movie in class today,call the whale rider.Is a movie about a tribe in New Zealand called Maori.My lecturer used it to inspire us to think critically towards the movie in a sense of viewing the characters from a psychologist point of view,to pick out gender roles,moral reasoning and characteristic confusion.

I'd rate this as a really nice movie,it's simple to understand,and unforgettably,I did also blogged about Remember the Titan acted by Denzel Washington.Besides the fact that Denzel is a very good actor but the movie itself is very well portrayed with discrimination between the black and whites.

Whale rider is about a story of the spirit of choosing a capable leader namely Paikea who escaped death when his canoe capsized by riding to shore on the back of a whale.The chiefs have always believed that a Paikea must be a first-born male in the family.Ironically,someone has broken the rules of a Paikea must be the male,and the person is closely connected to him and have a special place in his life.

I'm not going to tell in detail,because I will probably be spoiling the fun of watching a movie by telling too much.Just watch it by yourself and try to analyse it critically.

I love having debates. /lv

No comments: